Banana Coconut Cupcakes
Ingredients: (makes 12 cupcakes)
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- 4 Tbsp coconut milk
- 1/2 Cup coconut flour
- 2 Tbsp raw honey or maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp aluminum free baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 whole mashed bananas (very ripe)
- 1/4 C toasted coconut shreds (for the garnish on the icing)
- 1/4 Cup macadamia nut butter
- 1/4 Cup coconut milk
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar (I found mine at The Big Carrot in Toronto). You could sub raw honey or maple syrup.
- 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice (or more)
- 1/4 Tbsp 100% vanilla extract
- 1/8 Cup coconut oil
To make the icing:
Melt the macadamia nut butter (especially if you’ve had it in the fridge) so that it’s smooth and easy to mix. Melt the coconut oil with the coconut sugar.
Mix all of the icing ingredients together thoroughly. Refrigerate for a few hours until it’s texture is similar to icing.
For the cupcakes:
Pre-heat oven to 350
In a bowl, mix together coconut flour, salt, baking powder, coconut milk, vanilla extract, bananas and eggs
Melt the coconut oil and honey/maple syrup and then slowly add it to the mix.
Mix together thoroughly and pour into greased (use coconut oil or non-stick spray) muffin baking pan.
Bake for about 20-30 minutes – check after 20 minutes because you might have a better oven. You want to be able to stick a fork into the middle and have it come out dry.
Remove from oven and let it cool completely (otherwise the icing melts off)
To toast the coconut, spread it out on a baking sheet and pop it into the 350 oven for 5 minutes. Shake it around and put it back in for another 2 minutes or until it’s toasted.
Spread the icing on top of each and sprinkle with toasted coconut